Maths at Crosslee
Mathematics is essential to everyday life, critical to science, technology and engineering, and necessary for financial understanding and most forms of employment. At Crosslee we aim to provide a high-quality mathematics education which provides a foundation for understanding the world, the ability to reason mathematically, build resilience and give a sense of enjoyment and curiosity about the subject.
At Crosslee Primary School our approach to teaching and learning enables all pupils to achieve success in maths irrespective of specific learning difficulties, disability, gender and racial grouping. We aim to ensure all children:
1) Develop a positive attitude towards mathematics as an interesting and valuable subject.
2) Become fluent in the fundamentals of mathematics so that pupils develop a good understanding of the subject and will have the ability to recall and apply knowledge rapidly and accurately.
3) Have the ability to reason mathematically by following a line of enquiry and developing an argument, justification or proof using mathematical language.
4) Solve problems by applying their mathematics to a variety of routine and non-routine problems.
5) Apply their mathematical knowledge to science and other subjects.
We achieve this by
- using active and involving teaching approaches
- Completing the fluent in 5 daily throughout school to reinforce prior learning.
- using rich questioning and discussion which is differentiated to match a child’s needs.
- Taking time over each new concept
- focusing on using and applying skills in order to extend mathematical knowledge
- identifying misconceptions as starting places for concept building
- being responsive to the needs of each pupil and allowing additional time before moving on when required
- ensuring that children enjoy challenging maths.
Our approach to the teaching of maths
Nursery- Year 6 Long Term Plan
Maths and the EYFS
Maths is one of the four specific areas within the Early Years Foundation Stage (EYFS). Each specific area is divided into Early Learning Goals, for maths these are:
- Numbers - children learn to count and the value of numbers, higher and lower. These skills support them to solve problems, use money and calculate more or less.
- Patterns and sequencing - these skills support children to understand size, weight, capacity, position, distance, time and money and compare quantities, objects and solve problems.
At Crosslee the children are introduced to mathematics in a variety of ways to ensure they are becoming confident and engaged mathematicians. These include:
- Completing the fluent in 5 daily.
- Hands on experience through play in the indoor and outdoor areas.
- Daily maths input
- Small group and one to one work to support with misconceptions.
- Engaging in stories, rhymes and games to support understanding.
Nursery to Reception progression
www.purplemash.com * (see class teacher for log in)
Files to Download
Crosslee Primary School
Manchester, M9 6TG
0161 795 8493Email us